Already enrolled in CAP? Click here to learn more about new changes to the program and your monthly bill.
Our Customer Assistance Program (CAP) was established to assist our low-income customers who may have difficulty paying their bill with an ongoing, affordable monthly payment. CAP offers several benefits to those who are eligible, including a reduced monthly bill, debt forgiveness and security deposit waiver, if needed.
Apply online today for the CAP program or for a security deposit waiver. Prior to starting the application, you will need to have the following information available:
- Income information, including source of income, for all household members.
- Names, social security numbers and birth dates for all household members.
Once your application is submitted, a CAP Case Manager will be in contact with you within three business days. If you would like to visit a CAP office in person, please print and complete the application and contact the CAP agency nearest you for available appointment times and walk-in hours.
Please note that the receipt of a LIHEAP grant would indicate you are eligible for CAP. However, you still will be required to provide your income information when applying for CAP in person or online.
- Reduced monthly payments.
- Debt forgiveness if terms of the CAP agreement are met.
- Information about reducing your electric use.
- Local office access to CAP experts.
- Referrals to other community resources.
Eligibility for CAP
CAP is available to Duquesne Light customers who are adults (18 years of age or older) and living in the household. The applicant’s household income must be less than 150% of federal income poverty guidelines.
2021 FEDERAL INCOME GUIDELINES: CAP PROGRAM
*Note: The amounts listed above are the maximum gross income amounts (before taxes) allowed for each income size.
Your Monthly CAP Payment
Your CAP payment each month will be a Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) based on your income and household members. The percentage is determined by your income and household size. Your CAP bill must be paid monthly for you to remain eligible for the program benefits, including any debt that is being forgiven. Debt forgiveness is provided after your full monthly payment is made, and is 1/24 of the total debt. You will be responsible for any remaining debt not forgiven if you fail to make your monthly payments.
Tips to be a Successful CAP Customer
- Pay your monthly bill on time.
- Apply for energy assistance grants from LIHEAP, when available.
- Conserve electricity.
- Take advantage of weatherization measures you qualify for.
- Notify your CAP Case Manager or DLC's Universal Services Center of any change in income, residence or number of household members, or if you are experiencing any hardships.